Top 5 reasons to hire a vacation photographer and our recommendations
Going on vacation or to visit family in another state or country? If you are coming to the Kansas City area, I would love to see you for a family photography session! The home of the Kansas City Royals and BBQ has some of the most gorgeous locations, I promise! You might not have thought about hiring a photographer while you are away, but there are plenty of reasons to do it.
I know when my husband and I took our boys on their very first vacation years ago, we were long overdue to have some r&r. We also wanted to create long-lasting memories with our family. I travel with my gear and thought it would be “no biggie” to set up a tripod on the beach with a remote. I quickly found out that I really needed a sandbag to keep my tripod steady. I went on a “beach hunt” to find someone who had a little DSLR experience and ran into a budding photographer who snapped a quick images of our family I will treasure forever, but not nearly as much as the next year when I actually hired a professional photographer to do a full family session on the beach. Those are the images I will treasure the most from the trips we have taken together as a family.
Top 5 reasons why you should hire a photographer while on vacation
1. You can travel lighter with less worry – While there is no weight limit for carry-on bags, not bringing a DSLR, tripod, and smattering of lenses will free up some space and some worry about carrying your gear through the airport. If you have ever been one of the last to board and experienced the panic of having to check thousands of dollars of equipment, you get this. It kind of feels like the airline just asked if one of your children can ride below. Having fewer electronics with you will probably get you through TSA a little faster. It might save you a pat-down. I think my laptop and gear got me a thorough pat down this summer in front of the boys that was more than super awkward.
2. Mom can be in images on the wall – My own children talk about vacations and reminisce all of the time. It’s a nice reminder when they pass an image of us in a place we love and had a fantastic week in while walking down the hall. You are documenting memories with MOM in them. That is important, we are part of the family and should not always be the designated “memory maker” with the camera because we won’t be in the memories!
3. You and your husband need an updated professional image together – Do you have images of just the two of you since your wedding that are professionally shot? I’ll bet the two of you have changed an awful lot since then. If I think back, we really did not. Lots of tulle, bangs and stress. That was the last time we were in front of a pro, just us! Have the photographer get a few of you alone. After all, you are the basis and the beginning of your family and that needs to be celebrated.
4. They have knowledge of the best locations – As a local, a professional photographer who has shot in a city for years has insider knowledge about the best locations. The most photographic beach might not be where you are staying at. I know our beach photographer had her own preferred locations They will also know how to photograph in certain conditions and often will give you wardrobe advice and suggest things you haven’t thought of before.
5. As a gift for mom – I often hear that I am impossible to buy for, but even as a professional photographer I would love a gift of family portraits in our favorite vacations spots from my husband. If you surprise her, be sure she packs something she wants to be photographed in and don’t forget the kid’s clothes!
From personal experience, I know it can be an overwhelming task to research photographers for your trip. You scroll through pages and pages on Google, send emails or fill out contact forms. You wait for them to reply and check their schedule to see if it coincides with your trip. Lots of clicking and lots of time!
I have created a list colleagues below who started their photography career in the same timeframe as I did and who I know from sharing knowledge and experience. They have the years behind them to truly create portrait art for your family!
|NSW|| Melbourne Newborn & Family Photographer | Shanna Jones Photography|
| Oatlands Sydney Newborn & Family Photographer | Reflections by Louise|
| Melbourne Family Photographer|
Leah Robinson Photography
| Ottawa Wedding and Newborn Photographer | Jennifer Boggett Photography|
|Northern Ireland|| |
|CT and MA||http://www.kellidease.com|
|Panama City Beach||http://www.rebeccaknowles.com/|
|Jacksonville & St. Augustine||http://www.wishingwellphotography.com|
|Chicago North Shore||http://www.mabelsonphoto.com|
|Brighton & Ann Arbor||http://www.twoangelsphotography.com|
|New Jersey|| |
|North Carolina|| |
|Winston Salem / Charlotte||http://www.victorialeighphoto.com|